We always feel like we forget so much about our trips, and I haven't been very good about journaling on paper, so I thought I would try blogging for this trip.
We left yesterday morning for the start of our journey to London and Edinburgh. We started out by flying to JFK, where we had Shake Shack (yay!) during our layover.
We then flew direct from JFK to London. All in, from the time we left the house to the time we got to the hotel, the trip was about 19 hours! Our flights were on time and everything went smoothly, but it was a long day of travel and neither of us slept much on the plane.
We arrived at our hotel around 10:30 a.m. and, surprisingly, our room was ready! We are staying at the Hilton London Tower Bridge, and everything has been very nice so far. They even brought a plate of fruit to our room this afternoon.
After checking in, we had a quick breakfast in the executive lounge, and headed out to do a little exploring. We had originally planned to start out our trip with a bus tour but after all that travel, the last thing we wanted to do was get on a bus. So we walked around the area of our hotel a bit, walked over the Tower Bridge, and headed to the Tower of London. We started out on a tour with one of the beefeaters but it was quite hot today and the tour was very full, so we explored on our own instead. It was pretty cool to see the Crown Jewels and the variety of suits of armor on display, and we enjoyed learning a little about the history of the castle.
However, we were exhausted after a couple of hours, so we headed back to the hotel to shower and rest a bit. (Mark thinks "exhausted" is an understatement.)
After a little recovery time, we headed out to dinner. We ate fish and chips at the Dickens Inn, a famous British pub on the River Thames. This pub was opened in the 1970s by the great-grandson of Charles Dickens. It was a beautiful night and the place was packed by the time we left.
After a little recovery time, we headed out to dinner. We ate fish and chips at the Dickens Inn, a famous British pub on the River Thames. This pub was opened in the 1970s by the great-grandson of Charles Dickens. It was a beautiful night and the place was packed by the time we left.
Now we're back at the hotel, trying to force ourselves to stay awake just a little bit longer so that we can adjust to the time difference. Mark just came back from a little food shop across the street with tales of strange flavors of potato chips (lobster! fish and chips!). This is probably a sign it's time for us to go to bed...









5 comments:
I'm so happy you decided to blog. I have NEVER been able to scrap book in the traditional manner, but I find blogging to be so easy and it's great to have all (well, some) of your memories in one place.
I hope to see London someday.
I enjoyed learning a bit about the Tower of London with Collin and Reagan when Tyler was there. I was upset with Tom that he didn't go there during his short trip to London - he blames it on the crowds due to the Olympics, but I know he wouldn't have gone anyway.
I'm looking forward to reading more about your trip.
P.S. I've never had Shake Shack, but I get the feeling that I'm supposed to know what it is -- is that the place in Central Park?
your haircut is so cute (you too mark!)
i love this blog!!
Thanks, Dave!
Christy - Blogging on vacation is a little hard to manage but I know I'll be glad to have it recorded. Shake Shack is a burger chain in NYC. I like Five Guys better but Shake Shack has these flashing lights that draw you in.
We have Five Guys in Dartmouth and Seekonk. We have been a few times, but I didn't think it was anything special.
Post a Comment