Unfortunately Mark has a bit of a cold so this morning I headed out on my own to let him rest for a bit. Time on my own in London? Shopping, of course! I journeyed back to Harrod's. I'm glad I returned to discover how amazing this store really is. Seven floors high, Harrod's is filled with just about everything you could possibly think of.
There is a "pet kingdom" and a pet spa. Perhaps I should buy Ellie and June a cat stroller for walks around the village?
Or maybe a kitty champagne toy? It only costs about $18 with the current exchange rate.
The "toy kingdom" had a decent book section, a great assortment of Hello Kitty items, and an array of Harry Potter swag. Fancy a wand?
I love the hats they wear in the grocery section.
Other interesting finds at Harrod's included: an art gallery where you can buy original paintings by Warhol, Chagall, and others; a Mackenzie Childs section; a Disney themed cafe; and a section with items from Qatar. There are over 300 departments and over 30 restaurants! It is really worth taking a look at their website to see all of the departments and the services they offer.
I was surprised to learn they offer free global delivery on furniture. Perfect for that $10,000 couch you want to purchase on vacation.
After buying a few small souvenirs and gifts, I went back to the hotel to meet Mark. We headed over to Borough Market, one of the largest outdoor food markets in the world, for lunch.
We decided to try out another fish and chips place and had a good lunch. Pigeon was happy we were having fish.
Next, we went to the Imperial War Museum. This is one of the many free museums in London. Some parts of the museum were being renovated but there was still plenty to see, including an excellent exhibition on the Holocaust.
Upon leaving the museum, I saw a pigeon walking across the park and started to feel a little hungry. But it was too early for dinner. (Mark may have written the two previous sentences, but it was based on an actual conversation.) We decided we wanted some time to just chill so we took the tube up to Belsize Park to find a little pub to stop at. We didn't find anything that looked interesting so we went back over to Fleet Street, where there are lots of cool places. We went to Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, which was recommended by our volleyball pal, Jess. It was just what we were looking for.
After relaxing a bit, we took the bus back over to the area of our hotel and went to The Barrowboy and Banker for dinner. We both had the steak and ale pie with mashed potatoes. We agreed that it was quite yummy.












4 comments:
I didn't realize Harrod's was so huge! Reagan laughed at the cat stroller.
Again, I had to laugh at Mark's humor; he may want to consider stand up comedy.
If I ever go to London, I might have to put the vegetarian diet on hold. ACK!!!!!!!!!! Are there vegetarian options at any of these restaurants? There must be vegetarians in London!!!!!!!
I think you need to seek help regarding the whole pigeon thing.
Olga and I visited Borough Market last time we were in London for a layover. Was so neat perusing the Tate Modern (the building is as interesting as the exhibits - or more), Millennium Pedestrian Bridge, and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre was right there!! So much in a little space! Love London!!
I didn't really notice vegetarian options but there must be, it's a huge city! Do you like Indian food? Indian restaurants always have lots of vegetarian options, and there are tons of Indian places in London.
I did notice lots of vegetarian options in Edinburgh, and I even saw a vegetarian restaurant.
Good to know! I know Indian people don't eat cow because cows are sacred - at least I think that's correct. I do like Indian food.
Post a Comment